Dealing with bunions is a painful and arduous ordeal. If you would like to learn more about how to rid yourself of this issue, then you should ask Dr. Yong Chae, a podiatrist located in Indianapolis & Crawfordsville, IN.
What are bunions?
Bunions appear when the metatarsophalangeal joint of the big toe becomes deformed. The deformity occurs when the big toe moves and is no longer in its proper orientation or position. When your footwear is uncomfortable or tight, it will rub against your bunion, causing pain due to the friction.
If your toe bends towards the rest of your toes and starts overlapping them, this is called hallux valgus. This problem will not only place pressure and friction against the bunion, but you will feel discomfort, irritation and inflammation.
What else can bunions cause?
- Hallus Abducto Valgus, which is when the big toe moves towards the second toe
- Hammertoes, Bursitis, Arthritis, and Corns and Calluses
- Skin over the bunion becomes thicker and more tender
Causes of Bunions
Bunions can be caused by several things, here are few examples:
- Flat feet
- Foot injuries
- Neuromuscular problems
- Feet have structural abnormality
Your Indianapolis & Crawfordsville, podiatrist can show you several treatments to help relieve your bunion pain:
- Wear protective padding made of felt to alleviate pressure, irritation and inflammation.
- If you suffer from corns and calluses, make sure to have them removed.
- Wearing an orthotic device created to maintain your big toe in the proper position may help improve your condition.
- Exercising can help you with mobility and reduce stiffness; it is a healthy addition to your overall lifestyle.
If you wish to know more about bunions and how to relieve yourself of it, then you should contact your podiatrist Dr. Yong Chae. His offices are located in Indianapolis & Crawfordsville, IN. Call to make an appointment today:
Indianapolis (317) 328-6622
Crawfordsville (765) 362-7200